See Map ›
- Ministry of Economic, Growth and Competitiveness
Statement of project objectives
- The project’s energy production will reduce the country’s current consumption of heavy oil fuels translating into significant savings, by supplying aoout 25% of the electricity needs
- The project’s additional capacity will help reduce the country’s current power shortage which has been identified as a major hurdle to its growth.
- Access abundant source of clean / renewable energy.
Approximate scope of project
Time Line commence construction in late 2010 operation 2012
More project information
- Cape Verde has an approximate population of 500,000 and is growing at a rate of 6% - 7% per year.
Real estate and tourism development are major growth drivers which need sufficient infrastructure support in order to thrive.
- Development plan for 4 wind farm sites in Santiago, S. Vicente, Sal and Boa Vista islands with nominal capacity of approximately 10MW; 6MW and 8MW, 4MW respectively, subject to an appraisal of the technical consultant currently undertaking the studies.
› Newspaper Articles ‘Carbon Credits/DNA’ English version
› Newspaper Articles ‘Carbon Credits/DNA’ Portuguese version
› Cape Verde PDD› Cape Verde Designated National Authority
- Government of Cape Verde